Explosive TV Graphics 1

Learn how Adobe Illustrator and Maxon Cinema 4D were used, along with stock footage from Video Copilot’s Action Essentials 2, to create explosive TV promo graphics.

Discuss
  1. oli

Nice one mate…

Thanks mate! ๐Ÿ˜‰ JD

2. Morrison

hi jhon. You are my god for VFX a M.Graphics, but, sorry, this tutorial is not great for noobies because u dont show the parts of costruction, step by step, on cinema 4d. ๐Ÿ™

sorry for bad english

Greating from Germany

• Gary Jax

full quote to

• John Dickinson

Hi Morrison, this was not intended as a step-by-step. A lot of my posts are more about day-to-day workflow. There are tutorials on the web that show how to use Cinema 4D including Making It Look Great 6 right here on Motionworks. All the best, John.

3. Mauro

Wow thanks John! Pretty cool tut. I loved how you used the circle fx to control the other fxs and the way you integrated action essential footage just rocks!

cheers from Italy mate

• John Dickinson

Hi Mauro, thanks, I learned that circle tip from Maltaannon. He also hosts Making It Look Great 5, right here on Motionworks ๐Ÿ˜‰ Best, John.

4. Tobias

Totally awesome tut!

Nice to see some realworld examples.
    Thank you.

Tobias
    Sweden

• John Dickinson

Glad you found value in this Tobias, best wishes, John.

5. Churcha Khovcha

no c4d steps ๐Ÿ™

• John Dickinson

Sorry Churcha, this tutorial was for Adobe. Best, John.

6. Milton

The tutorial is very cool, but not very descriptive. maybe this isn’t a tutorial but about a ispiration work.
    anyway good job
    cheers from poland

• John Dickinson

Hi Milton, it’s more of a real-world workflow. Best, John.

7. illd

Nice project JD. Great tip on the faked lighting with colorama. In the end the promo is only 10 seconds but hours of work, although you used some prepared footage. I often wonder how some clients react on such a rate. You work a day and deliver 10 seconds – some of my clients would not like that ;(

I have a question about the project: Did you use the lights from C4D for the AE text? To me, often the lights react different than expected, I guess thats because AE lights can ยดt simulate falloff and other things which are standard in 3D apps. Do you know any workarounds?

• John Dickinson

Hi illd, the total project included 5 versions of the packshot and about 10 supers. In this case I colorized the text using a simple Ramp effect. It wasn’t necessary to use the C4D light. Best, John.

8. Ethan Asad

It was awesome and helpful. John, Can you tell us about the material you used for the 3D text in Cinema 4D? Thanks Alot.

• John Dickinson

Hi Ethan, it’s a slightly modified version of the brushed metal texture from C4D Texture: http://bit.ly/1o59KZ Best wishes, John.

9. Dave

Nice tut, the c4d is also well explained if you know how to use it. First of all safe the Illu file as an eps in version 8, to import it into c4d. You don’t need MoGraph to do this animation, sure it’ll safe time. this is really basic c4d, so you’ll find a lot in the web to create this animation.
    cheers

• John Dickinson

Thanks for your input Dave. Regards, John.

10. Jim

Thanks for the breakdown. It was helpful. Can you show what settings you used for the Timewarp effect?

• John Dickinson

Hi Jim, very simply I applied Timewarp, set SPEED to 100 and checked the MOTION BLUR setting. Good luck, John.

11. jose Herrera

Thanks for that … John …

Awesome stuff .. I hope to see more in the future

Cheers and excellent job with this page

Jose

• John Dickinson

Thanks Jose. I love your gravatar… what is it? A candle? Best, John.

12. Leo

Hey JD, I had been waiting for this one… simply awesome, my friend. I love how you take simple elements and turn them into exhilarating composites, you make it look so easy haha! Excellent final result, if the client hadn’t been happy with it there must be something wrong with them, ha.

Cheers!

Leo
    Kansas City

• John Dickinson

Hi Leo, it was easier having got the main idea from the trailer! The stock footage is also a great tool for creating realistic composites. Best, John.

13. tillimanjaro

Hey JD,

The mix of effect u used (colorama, circle, cc composite) was very clever.
    One to remember.
    The spot looks very nice..

This site is getting better and better each time i viste(allmost every day:) )

T.

• John Dickinson

Thanks tilimanjaro, I picked up the Circle tip from Maltaannon. Best, John.

14. fxOlli

Beautiful, very dynamic! =)

• John Dickinson

Thanks Oliver. Best, John.

15. Hassaan

thanks for this amazing video (especially for 3d text animation)

You’re welcome Hassaan.

16. Nic

That is awesome. Love it. LOVE IT. ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep em coming.

• John Dickinson

Thanks Nic, glad it helped. Best, John.

17. Johnny

Very helpful! Inspires me a lot to discover and explorer more about combining 3D from C4D to AE. Once again thanks!

• John Dickinson

Hi Johnny, Cinema 4D really opened up the possibilities for me as a motion designer. I wholeheartedly suggest exploring it more. Best wishes, John.

18. AdamV

Another great tut! You have to be one of the busiest guys in the industry. You have tuts, teaching right?, a 9-5 and aggregating awesome video content. Thank you!!

• John Dickinson

Pretty busy at the moment Adam that’s for sure… and loving every moment of it! Cheers, John.

19. Siryev

John, can u make tutorial about texturing and text animating in C4D , how in your tutorial ? thanks

20. PB

John,
    Would you be able to do a tutorial on how you colored and textured the company logo at the end of this last tutorial?

• John Dickinson

Thanks for the suggestion PB, I’ll give it some thought. Regards, John.

21. Antonio

Hey John,

Where do you get the update for Cinema 4D, I have version 11.0 and updated to 11.027 and search the Maxon website and I did not find the update or I have to buy tha 11.5 version, it would be like a crash for since I buy the 11.0 version. If you can tell me, hope it’s aan update cheers from Puerto Rico.

• John Dickinson

Hi Antonio, R11.5 is a paid upgrade. Best, John.

22. Kyle

Thanks for the tut, John. Could you tell me your settings on the time warp effect? I’ve been trying it on some C4D renders and it’s not looking nearly as good as your comp. I’ve tried fudging the settings a bunch and no luck. Is the effect specific to the render? Will it work better/worse on certain types of renders? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• John Dickinson

Hi Kyle, I set the Speed to 100% and checked Motion Blur. Let me know if that helps. Best, John.

23. Craig Wall

A tut is never all things to all people. But for me–this was the finest tut, the most helpful tut, the most inspirational tut I’ve seen in the past year. And I watch a lot of them. Your workflow is so parallel my own–but your artistic and technical maturity is a step ahead of me. Just enough to push me further down the track.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This tutorial hit so many of my hot buttons for my current project I don’t where to start. Bravo, John.

• John Dickinson

Wow Craig, that’s a big compliment! I’m glad you’re find it useful! Be sure to show me your project when it’s done. Best wishes, John.

• Craig Wall

John,

My major compliment is due to the quality of the tutorial and also how it was so perfect for my current work.

I am working on some pro hockey arena graphics. I’ll send you a link in a week or so.

Highlights that really helped: the tip about PixelWarp for motion blur, some uses of Action Essentials–which I was already using on this project. (the add mode for more pop was a great tip)…

The fracture object and camera shake—that too proved immediately useful.

There were several other gems — perfect for my current workflow.

• John Dickinson

Hi Craig, can’t wait to see it. Workflow is so important in this industry and I’m glad mine has been helpful for you. Best wishes, John.

24. Fabian

It’s very helpful to get an insight in how to manage a good workflow… instead of only trying to copy a tutorial and not actually knowing what the heck I’m doing and why! So great tutorial and very helpful. Thanks for sharing that.

But I do have a question tough…. It’s probably something very simple, but I can’t figure it out what I’m doing wrong. When I import an outline text from illustrator in Cinema, like you did in this tutorial… it doesn’t make the entire text as a path… but it makes it a null object, within all the seperate letters as a path. But I can’t Extrude Nurbs on a null object, it only does the first letter then… what am I doing wrong? Hope you can help me out.

25. Fabian

Okay… I already figured out what I did wrong… and like I said, it was something simple I forgot to check! I forgot to check the Hierarchical button! Problem solved…. Gonna continue now to try and make a Fast & Furious myself…. ๐Ÿ™‚

• John Dickinson

Well done Fabian. A little tip is to hit C with the null selected and that will put all the splines under their own extrude nurbs. Best, John.

26. Ryan

Excellent job on the tutorial Mark. I actually prefer this approach that you used and hope that you continue to explain projects in the future with this manner. I have three questions for you for.

1) The material applied to the sky object, was that an HDRI image?
    2) Did you use CC Light Wrap for the text in AE to add the highlight glint?
    3) Kind of off topic, but how do you like the Drobo?

Thanks.

• John Dickinson

Hi Ryan. It’s John not Mark ;). Yes that was an HDRI image applied to the sky. I didn’t use CC Light Wrap in AE, it was the reflection of the sky object as the text moved in C4D. I like the Drobo! Best wishes, John.

27. Chris Martin

Awesome!!! I did not realize that Timewarp worked like that!!! Another day…another lesson learned…I can relax and enjoy my Friday now!

-Chris

• John Dickinson

Yes, I learned that one from Mark Christiansen’s AE Studio Techniques book recently! Best, John.

• perry blunt

Does that AE file from c4d work in aecs3?

• John Dickinson

Hi Perry, yes but you need to install the C4D export plugin into CS3. The plugin is included with the C4D install. Best, John.

• perry blunt

okayyy,thanks man

28. John Dickinson

Hi Ahmed, I used to use Reel Smart Motion blur (which actually is faster) but Timewarp is a great built-in option. Best, John.

29. dogimo

excellent workflow john!
    I would have added a bit of depth by separating the 2 faces and slightly moved mister diesel to the left and in z, maybe plus a little camera movement. what do you think?
    anyway this is just another great piece of motion art. thx for sharing it !

• John Dickinson

Hi Dogimo, thanks for your input. There are a couple of reasons I wouldn’t split the actors. They are one single image so cutting and moving them in z would have required some cloning. Also, moving Vin back and left would have put him behind the other dude, who is in shadow (with no face pixels existing anyway on the right). Even if I had separated them in z it would have been hardly noticeable. The camera is already moving via the keyframes exported from Cinema 4D. I could have done a slight push perhaps. Best, John.

30. Philip

Hi, John, i must say i like ur courage on taking on new challenges. I have always wanted tips from real life projects on C4D. I love wot u r doing and hope to do same for others when i am good with Cinema, thanks.

• John Dickinson

Thanks Philip, I still have a long way to go with Cinema 4D but it’s a fun journey! Best wishes, John.

31. Bart Miko

Hi John
    Nice work as usuall, I should tell this earlier;) Btw i’m wonder how U finding time for all of this stuff, work, tuts, life, wife … etc;)
    Could You tell where You get this nice for typo Hdri map?
    Waiting for another tut whit Rob;)
    Best regards
    Bart

• John Dickinson

Hi Bart, at the moment my family is away on a trip so I have loads of time! That is an hdri from the Foxtel library. I’ll see if I can find a link for you. Best, John.

32. dogimo

sorry for my english john, thought it was obvious saying that moving vin diesel in z space I meant in front, not behind.
    this is surely one of the best way to promote this movie on TV anyway.

• John Dickinson

Thanks Dogimo. Regards John.

33. JackieNP

You made it simple but very cool!
    Thank you John.

• John Dickinson

Hi JackieNP, I think that comes with practice, I don’t have to think as hard as I used to about how to approach these smaller projects. Best, John.

34. Lawrence

Fantastic tutorial, I struggled for over a year with motion blur on C4D stuff and you friggin killed it just there. That and a myriad of other useful tips. Great stuff, thanks so much John.

Lawrence

• John Dickinson

Good to know I’ve saved you some time Lawrence! Best, John.

35. Javier

Thx for the tutorial John!! Greetings from Barcelona ๐Ÿ™‚

• John Dickinson

Greetings to you Javier and the beautiful Barcelona! You’re welcome. Best, John.

36. Joe

Hi John,
    Awesome tutorial! I always enjoy finding out how the Box Office trailers are made.
    Do you know if Foxtel offers any work experience or internships in regards to motion graphics?
    Thanks,
    Joe.

• John Dickinson

Hi Joe, yes we do have work experience but not internships. Best, John.

• Joe

Excellent. I’ll try and follow that up.
        I’m 2nd year at sydney uni studying medical science but I’ve also got a massive passion for film and graphic design. I’m in a huge dilemma at the moment of which one to go with.
        Thanks for that and keep the tutorials coming!
        Joe.

37. reaoo, egypt

nice work john

Thanks reaoo.

38. Philip

Hi,thanks for replying my post. I am currently working on a Promo for a TV station on their sports segment. The script they gave goes thus;
    Bricks breaking revealing the word “CRBC SPORTS SERVED HOT” with a voice over,
    then fast clips are played on sports highlights
    followed by the voice over “KEEPING U AT THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT” @ this point i’ll insert a clip of guys watching a game in anxiety(which i v already taken the shots).
    am thinking of using c4d to create the text CRBC SPORTS and then use action essentials to recreate a hot oven kind of scene with flames burst then using a grungdy texture for the fast clips then rap up with a brick breaking to reveal picture of the presenter.

If it where u what would u think! sorry if the script seem vague.

• John Dickinson

Sounds like you have a good direction Philip. It would be nice to see some photo-realistic bricks shattering… Best, John.

39. Matt Mogford, UK

A Brilliant video tutorial! I am learning alot from you. Not only with specific ways to achieve certain effects, but general workflows etc. which I can then use to solve other ‘problems’ or ideas.
    It’s so hard to find good help, and with video quality so good I’ll be coming back often for new updates.
    Love the unplugged interviews too!

• John Dickinson

Thanks for the feedback Matt, I’m glad you are finding value here. Best wishes, John.

40. Spiro

My favorite part was when JD said, “There’s the dudes.” ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously – fantastic tutorial John! Great tips. Would love to know more about how you created the metal material and sky material in C4D.

• John Dickinson

Hehe, glad that made you laugh Spiro. The text material is based on one I found on C4DTextures. The sky is a black and white, blobby texture from Zaxwerks called Punchy Reflections (it ships with ProAnimator and 3D Invigorator). Hope that helps. Best, John.

• Spiro

The blobby texture isn’t a HDRI, is it?

Besides the text animator, did you add anything else to “Starts Wednesday October 28?” It looks metallic, just like the Fast & Furious text.

• John Dickinson

Hi Spiro, actually the sky texture is an HDRI, I used the Zaxwerks texture in a different project. The texture is from a terrific series by Dosch Design. The time text has a Ramp Effect applied. Best, John.

• Spiro

Thanks John! I just purchased the Chrome & Studio Effects V2 series. Hopefully you’ll get a percentage from the sale! ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously – I’ve been eyeing that Dosch Design series for a while now. Your recommendation just pushed me over the edge.

• John Dickinson

That’s cool Spiro, they have some great products for sure. Best, John.

41. Peter Somers (TC-Productions)

Fantastic tut!
    There are several good tuts sites out there, but what gives your site the edge over all the others is that you’re actually using realworld examples, rather than conceptual stuff.
    For those of us working in broadcasting, your site has definitely become a valuable must-see!

Congrats!

• John Dickinson

Thank you Peter, I really appreciate your feedback. Best wishes, John.

42. Jswift

Amazing Tutorial!!! Yes the to see the workflow is very very helpful. Amazing results as well. Thanks you John & Nick.

• John Dickinson

Glad you found it useful. Best, John.

43. Zuazua

Loved it.

• John Dickinson

Thanks Zuazua, you’re welcome. Best, John.

44. Nick

Great tutorial John! The circle alpha tip blew my miiiiiind. That probably would have saved me dozens of hours of work over the years if I had known that before. I really like seeing these After Effects and Cinema 4D tutorials that quickly go over everything and show the workflow.

• John Dickinson

Hi Nick, Maltaannon taught me the Circle trick. If you liked that, be sure to check out his Making It Look Great 5 training, it’s packed with tips. Best wishes, John.

45. Kaka

Hi john very nice Tutorial too bad it wasnt realesed a bit earlier because i wanted so badly to remake this animation but it was a failure ๐Ÿ™
    anyway i have a new cool looking animation im trying to remake and if you will someday run out of ideas here some :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-LKOBuhjiM at bout 10 sec blur title apears its really cool lookin ๐Ÿ™‚

• John Dickinson

Hi Kaka, thanks for the inspiration. Best wishes, John.

46. SnoreBlast

Hi John, very good tutorial. Not to be too much of a font snob here, but just note that the “free” font you got is a copy of Antique Olive Nord Italic.. you can tell by the distribution of points on the uppercase S, for example– they’re evenly-spaced and mechanical. License the real deal next time!

• John Dickinson

Hi there, I have no issue buying fonts. When one is under pressure to complete a project quickly often it’s not possible to spend as much time searching for fonts. I saw this font in the trailer, did a search and the first page I found had a link to this “copy”. It did the job. “next time” I’ll know it’s not an original. Regards, John.