Ae Experiment 4

Suggested for this Experiment
  • Fractal
  • CC Light Burst
  • CC Flo Motion

Terrific results in After Effects Experiment 3 and wonderful to hear you’re enjoying these assignments and pushing your skills into new areas! It’s blowing my mind just how creative everyone can be. If you haven’t completed the previous assignments it’s never too late to join in and have a go.

For Experiment 4 we’re still exploring After Effects’ Generate category, this time focussing on Fractal and CC Light Burst but adding CC Flo Motion from the Distort category. Fractal is one of those effects that gathers dust at the bottom of the effects draw because no one really knows what to do with it! So dust it off, mix in some Light Burst and Flo Motion and see what comes out!

What can you make? Use only those three effects applied to a Solid Layer and don’t use the Brainstorm Tool! Take 30 minutes to explore the effects and post a JPG in the comments. Don’t let Fractal defeat you!

Discuss
  1. Evan Morgan

Tricky one to get a satisfactory result. The CC Light Burst smears out a lot of the interesting Fractal output (or maybe I’m doing something wrong). Still, here’s my result after 30 minutes of futzing around.

• John Dickinson

Looks brilliant Evan, so much detail. These experiments are designed push you beyond your comfort zone, there is no wrong!

2. Chad

Really enjoying these exercises. Thanks!

• John Dickinson

Nice Chad, I like how both yours and mine have a smeared, painterly look to them in places.

3. Chuck

I’ve never used any of these effects, it’s fun to discover new things in a program I use daily.

• John Dickinson

I love the monotone simplicity of this Chuck.

4. Sterling Glass

Somehow, this turned into a Grateful Dead T-shirt…

• John Dickinson

Amazing how experimentation can take you on trips Sterling.

5. Ricardo Ferreira

This is my try.

• John Dickinson

I sweet, plastic look with this one Ricardo.

6. Ricardo Ferreira

Another one!!

7. Kenny

First spin at it..

Nice symmetry Kenny!

8. Alex S.

I think I’ll let Fractal collect some more dust at the bottom of my AE drawer until I need to build some drug-induced hallucinations… I’m really curious if anyone comes up with fresh ideas how to use it.

Chicken! 🙂

9. Nic Petersen

Great fun on this one! Thanks!

• John Dickinson

Amazing Nic, those grey splotches look like birds!

10. Chris Oliver

Tried to stay a bit minimal on the Fractal.

• John Dickinson

Beautiful depth Chris. I can’t help thinking this one is angrily staring back at me!

11. Sebastien

Here my try, 29 minutes.1xFractal / 7 x LightBurst / 8xFloMotion.
    Great experiment here because fractal is very scary…This is not my best friend, even after this exercise…But thanks you again to make this fun experiments !

Very different look Sebastien, kind of like a messed up Foundry logo 🙂

12. Phil

Candy 🙂

• John Dickinson

Fun and colourful Phil, nice one.

• Michael Zirin

This is awesome!

13. Jason L

>> Fractal
    >> Light burst*2
    >> Flo mo
    >> Light burst

The other submissions look great!!!

• Michael Zirin

Very cool!

14. Jim Hines

“Coming Home”

• John Dickinson

Interesting Jim, how did you come up with the name?

• Jim Hines

Well, in the course of a half an hour I made several of these “designs” but I kept coming back to this one because I was drawn to the negative space. Feels like a comfortable opening – with the butterfly gently passing through it. LOL – Intellectualizing art. That is what I should call it. P.S. thanks for sponsoring these. It’s a lot of fun to make one and to also see what others do. Plus when folks explain how they achieved their effect it really, really helps to open up these sometimes enigmatic effects. I love what you’ve been coming up with in your experiments by the way.

15. Ryan Ragle

Floral

Nice work Ryan.

16. Mike Fair

Still a newbie but here’s mine

• John Dickinson

The black and white is simple and effective Mike, well done.

• David Byrne

This is cool, could imagine this in a book of abstract illustrations. Nice work!

17. Andrew Oborn

Firey Ring

• John Dickinson

This is terrific Andrew, how did you make the ring?

• Andrew Oborn

The basics went something like this:
        Fractal effect, I set magnification for both Mandelbrot and Julia to somewhere between -5 and -10, and checked overlay in the color tab.
        I used CC Flo Motion next with two knots almost centred with the amounts at about -5.
        CC Light burst was used last.

• John Dickinson

Thanks for the breakdown Andrew.

18. Sebastien

Ahahah, you’re right John !

19. Simon

Arachnid.

• Jeremy

All this time passed, and still, this is my favorite one of the thread. Rotated 90° clockwise it could be the start of a Hollywood Spiderman movie poster.

20. John L. Wikinson

Definitely out of my comfort zone with fractal! Really interesting variety of images posted here.

21. Matt

Open eye

Nice one Matt.

22. Torus

Hello.
    Here is my contribution.
    A kind of brain cell slice. 🙂

Oooh creepy!

23. Sean

This is a great way to play with some neglected AE components.
    This is Blue Knight.

• John Dickinson

Great Sean, I love the dark, batman style.

24. ryinmo

Uhhhh :O

• John Dickinson

A Tron-like style going on there!

• Michael Zirin

Awesome!

25. Irina Zen

Great one John!
    Saw “The Secret Life of Chaos” a BBC documentary about fractals some weeks ago, now I know how they did the animation. After 30 min you even start to control this thingies. Mine is Cell Division.

• John Dickinson

That’s lovely look Irina. I wonder if they did use After Effects for the graphics on the show?

• Irina Zen

Hey John, you made me curious. I tried it out… Looks like they did. I am sure one can animate this endlessly. Each time I’m amazed how great AE is. Have a look. https://vimeo.com/67722421
        Without your assignment I would have never assumed it to be the the Mandelbrot Fractal. Merci!

26. Chris Holland

Thanks for the experimentation John. Psychedelic.

You’re welcome Chris.

• Michael Zirin

This is wild! super cool!

27. David Byrne

Another fun one, this time proved that even after twenty minutes of getting nowhere fast, something clicked and I started to play with different paramaters to refine for the last ten. Amazing the amount of looks, even with no post processing. Great way to spend a lunch break!

A fractal Mandlebrot (with Overlay checked) to begin, three light bursts to add the blue glow, three flow motions to distort for organic feel, and finally a very subtle light burst focusing on the lower right area to add a slight chromatic style blur. Cheers for this great continuing series, John!

• John Dickinson

Hey David, I found the same thing, I drag sliders around to get an overall idea of what things are doing, constantly undoing, then start to zero in on a look.

28. Doug

Loved this! I was amazed at how many different looks came from small adjustments. It was difficult to pick just one.

• John Dickinson

That’s the beauty of experimentation hey Doug!

• Steve Blacker

If you tilt your head to the left and squint a bit, you can sort of see a demented bunny… 😉

29. Steve

Angry Eyes … or some other equally dramatic name

Angry Owl 🙂

30. Mark Shingleton

I don’t think I have ever used Fractal

• John Dickinson

Well that’s one thing you can tick off your bucket list Mark!

31. Matthew

knock the dust off is right!

• John Dickinson

I avoided Fractal because I had no idea what one would do with it! Seems I was not alone 🙂

32. Jeremy

Tricky, that fractal thing.

• John Dickinson

Well done Jeremy, great colour choice.

33. Jon Walker

Caterpillar Limbo

34. Andy Needham

Here we go! Having lots of fun with these, John.

Beautiful Andy!

• Andrew Oborn

Love this one.

• Irina Zen

favourite!

35. Patrick

Fun!

• John Dickinson

Nice floral look Patrick.

36. Miguel Reyes

Fun exercise!

• John Dickinson

I love the feeling of motion in this one Miguel, well done.

37. pppalv

Fractals

Love the flat colours.

• David Byrne

Great work here, very en vogue at the moment with the flat colours, looks really good!

38. Steve Blacker

Islands in a storm, seen from space?

39. Jon Walker

Caterpillars in limbo?

40. jason

Thanks John, for reminding me to play with AE.

41. Jim Hines

“The Headphone Jack is Going to be on the Bottom”

Very unusual Jim!

42. Michael Zirin

First attempt… less than 10 mins

• John Dickinson

Good first attempt Michael.

43. Michael Zirin

Second attempt, around 10-15 mins… played some more. Thanks awesome assignment!

• John Dickinson

Well done Michael, this has a look of underwater currents, I love the depth.

44. Chris Prasol

it’s easy to get lost. great fun!

• John Dickinson

Beautiful Chris, like swirling paint!

45. Adriano Moraes

Something bursting I guess. Unfortunately time ran out but it was a lot of fun. I don´t even know if this was still rolling but I´m looking forward to the next one.

Great idea John…as always.

• John Dickinson

Thanks Adriano, that’s a lovely, vibrant look you’ve created.

46. robert

Loving these experiments, was trying to go for the inside of a donut.

• John Dickinson

Well done Robert, I love the symmetry.

47. Alex Imix

Humanoid character

• Jim Hines

Hey man, I’ve been grooving to your mixes all night while I work. Wish I could say it made me more talented but -lol- Good stuff – especially digging right around 50.00 and to the end on Impossible B Day – Would have commented at your channel but I don’t have an account. Thanks for the sounds. Good Humanoid guy too. Kinda Homer Simpsonesque

• John Dickinson

Wow, that’s creepy! Nice work Alex.

48. Marko

Here is my try. Something like smooth abstract thingy 🙂

Nice liquid look Marko.

49. Dominic Pons

breakfast time !!

not sure if multiple solids, little bit of comping, matting and blending modes are allowed but in the end I used only the 3 effects

• John Dickinson

Technically the experiment brief is just a single solid and the effects Dominic! Love the egg though!

50. illd