Memory Stream by artists Peter Clark, Daniel Uribe and Yeojin Shin, explores the idea of how we as human beings store memories in digital space and how we access those individual experiences from our past. Peter kindly agreed to tell us more about the processes and workflow involved in creating this magnificent piece:
“We set out to utilize a combination of techniques we had never done before”
The piece was designed to be a part of my senior exhibition, which was titled “Are We Content” (referencing the dual meaning of content as happiness and digital information). The exhibition focuses on showing works that reference the translation of human interactions and identity into digital space. As a subconcept of that exhibition, we chose to focus our animation on aspects of digitally stored memories and how sharing those memories creates a beautiful global culture. Our title pulls from the term ‘file streaming’ and implies the format in which we experience memories online.
We set out to utilize a combination of techniques we had never done before as well as familiar techniques like frame-by-frame animation. The primary techniques involved include; stop motion photography, claymation, laser step printing, frame-by-frame animation, hand drawn film animation, glitch, 3D animation, 2D animation, 2.5D compositing, live action compositing and projection re-photography.
We composited and edited most of the content using Adobe After Effects CC. We also used Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, Processing (Pixel Sorting), and Hex Fiend.
Tools & Materials
Our analog tools include: Chauvet Scorpion Laser, Cannon T2i camera, Record Player, Cheap clay, work lights, Viewsonic DLP projector, Water, 16mm film and sharpies.
As a team we worked really smoothly and didn’t run into many issues. Our greatest problems were technical, primarily because we hosted all our files via the SCAD collaborative network. Due to the network speed, we spent several hours waiting on files to load, render, or save. We also had a couple of times where we were working at 6am and the server crashed during a system reboot. We lost a lot of files but managed to fix the damage before the due date.
The project was done over a 9 week time period while we all simultaneously worked on freelance, other classes, and my exhibition production.