Challenge 4: Monitor

Home Forums Cinema 4D Modelling Modelling Challenges Challenge 4: Monitor

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Dickinson 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

For the next challenge we’ll try this monitor!

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

Okay here’s my model so far.

Julian
    Participant

Always a pleasure to see what you are making, John ! Such an inspiration.

Here where I am right now ! I’ve let the SDS on, tell me if you want to see it without.
    I’m about to cheat a little now with the backside of the screen, by splitting in where there is the little fent. It’ll allow me to start with a different topology. I know it’s not completely right but the real object kind has a separation here!
    Funny to model my own screen though !

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

Looking good Julian, the Sub-d seems pretty high on the frame… Here’s mine so far too. 

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

Now working on the plate for the inputs. Bouncing back and forth with Symmetry objects is making it easier. 

Julian
    Participant

My subdivision is pretty high surely because the SDS on it is set too high, I’m at 4 I think. I’m going to do another render tomorrow when I get back home.

Anyway, I’m really amazed by the quality of your modelling John, I don’t feel very confident with all the little details, although I know how to do them haha. I’m kind of afraid to make too much cuts in the geometry I guess!

(Other question a little out of the subject : I am currently on a C4D project and am running into some issues since a few weeks already. Are you open to help me if I write a post in the “General” section of this forum ?)

John Dickinson
      Keymaster

Hi Julian, it takes practise to become confident enough to make the cuts! I’m still learning too and often take the wrong approach 🙂 Please go ahead and use the General Discussion section, that’s what it’s for 🙂

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

Been chipping away at this each day. Here’s where I’m up to, pretty much just need to do the stand then start with creating normal maps and decals. 

Julian
    Participant

This looks so neat !

I’ve worked on it yesterday when I was back from work, I’m going to make a little post on it tonight.

Are you going to show us your normal maps/decals creation process when you’ll get to it ?

Julian
    Participant

My model is getting slowly in shape ! Even tough I’m not respecting any dimension at all…I’m more focused on basically how to do this and that haha.

I’m about to work on the rear plate ! Hope it will looks as good as yours !

John Dickinson
      Keymaster

Looking clean Julian! I’ve now moved on to unwrapping the UVs.

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

Here’s my final monitor and a shot of how I cut in the loops to allow me to sub-divide the stand and maintain curvature. 

John Dickinson
    Keymaster

I finally finished this challenge. It took longer because I spent some time unwrapping the UVs of each object (for practise). The final result isn’t identical but it was a very useful challenge.

Julian
    Participant

Oh wow, I’m both amazed and jealous by your work… I really have to learn on UVs and Substance Painter !

Here is my completed model :

I’m quite happy with the result, even though I see that I have a looooong road to travel before I get to your skill level, John 🙂

This is by far my most complex model since now !
    (And for the short story, this is the PC Monitor that I use haha)

John Dickinson
      Keymaster

Good on you for making the effort to finish the model Julian! I actually textured mine directly in Cinema 4D this time, not Substance Painter.

Tobias
    Participant

UV-unwrapping seems to be a mystery to a lot of people, including myself. Perhaps a good topic for a tut, based on your learnings from this project?

John Dickinson
      Keymaster

It isn’t worth learning the uv tools in Bodypaint as they are so old. I just purchased 3D Coat which has much better tools and am going to use that from now on, or at least until Maxon update Bodypaint.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.