The Dark Knight

Learn techniques and workflow used in Adobe After Effects and Illustrator to create the dramatic effect of the Batman icon shattering apart revealing a bright light source behind. Plug-ins used include Knoll Light Factory, Trapcode Particular and Shine. Thanks to Ko Maruyama and Jonas Hummelstrand for creative input.

Discuss
  1. MARS

This tute was mind blowing…

Your attention to detail is surely what makes you stand out.

Another tutorial worth every cent of watching by JD.

2. illd

Hail Mary, what an excellent tutorial. Feels like christmas, thank you JD!

3. guilherme lima

thank’s !!!!

4. Spiro

For some reason I can’t get it to load. 🙁

5. Jonas Hummelstrand

Nice one!

Gotta love those LF Stripes, I use them more than Shine in my broadcast work!

6. Vasu

nice work john thnx 4 fullfilling my request

7. Topher Welsh

Hey Spiro, try right clicking, and click Copy Link Location, and then paste that into your address bar.

8. ban_dido_7

looks great , but the movie is not loading up 🙁

9. John Dickinson

Try right clicking on the movie link and saving it to your desktop.

10. Dave

Wont open for me either unfortunately. Tells me it’s it’s in a form quick Time cannot understand even though the extension seems correct. And I have the latest QT updates.

Bummer, this one looks sweet.

11. John Dickinson

I’ve just switched the suffix back to mp4 from mov, which may have been causing the problem. Refresh your browser and give it another go.

12. Spiro

Works for me now! Just finished watching it. Tons of great tips – thanks John!

13. Dee

Thanks heaps looks great.

14. kamal98

hey this is great thumbs up 🙂

15. Josh Johnson

Really fantastic tutorial John. Nnice work on the promo too!

16. DD

Cool tutorial man
    thanx

17. paul

brilliant!!! I was just shaking my head at how awesome you are… 🙂 Thank you a million times for sharing your skills…

18. Bryan

You rock. Seriously. Thank you so very much for your Tutorials. Your work is so appreciated. I have learned so much from your teachings. Keep up the amazing effort.
    God Bless

19. steve

Thanks a ton! Is that Lightbox or Shadowbox. Very cool.

20. John Stanowski

Fantastic. So much in one tutorial. I particularly like seeing how you brought Illustrator into the mix. I even picked up some tips with they way you drew curves.

21. Kenneth Sena

this looks interesting but the movie says coming soon. isn’t this done yet?

22. yapayzeka

perfect. many thanks.

23. Ryan Hamilton

Hey folks,
    I tried doing something similar to this, but found I had a problem with my Knoll layers.
    When I add the flares they don’t knock out the black solid, so my shine layer on the bottom doesn’t get seen. I was sure KLF acted like trapcode layers and stuff excluding the solid layer an revealing only the effect. Am I mistaken? I looked several times John at your set up and noticed your Bottom Flares layer didn’t have any blending modes applied.
    Hamilton.

24. boogums

this is a great tute!

25. John Dickinson

Hey Ryan, If you are using the latest version of KLF just make sure the bottom layer in the layer stack has “unmult” checked. If you have a previous version you can download the unmult plug-in for free from http://www.redgiantsoftware.com.

26. Warti

Nice tutorial and a great stunning effect.
    But i have a problem doing this tutorial … and hope you can give me a tip.

When i try to reflect my shape in Illustrator i dont get a window where i can select Copy.
    When i do reflect it reflect to the other side and my old one dissapear. You know a solution for this ?

MFG Warti

27. John Dickinson

Hi Warti, Are you clicking the “copy” button in the Reflect window?

28. Warti

The reflect Window did not appear … that was my problem.
    But after some tests i figured out to double click the reflect icon to get the window …:)
    I dont often work in Illustrator.
    I can copy it now but it reflects in the middle of my shape axis.
    But this should not be a problem …

btw. great tutorial ! Very good site for me.

29. Chicago custom tux

Thanks for the post, this sounds like and interesting tutorial that my friend studying DC would enjoy. I’ll make sure to pass it along to him.

30. Samtvorik

Thank’s !!!!

31. aidan

Hey John

Um this is way to late to be replying but i just wanted to know if this interests you at all.

My thought was, instead of making a custom shatter map for this effect, would after effects plugin cc pixle polly have worked just as well?

Sorry, i have been meaning to find this out for myself but i havn’t allowed myself enough “cash” 😉 to try this out when i get home from work.

thanks

Aidan

• John Dickinson

Hi Aidan, welcome to Motionworks. Pixel Polly is a pretty old effect that has very limited settings. There is only a choice of polygons or squares for shapes and no shatter mapping features. Take a look at it when you find some “cash” and you’ll see what I mean. Nice to see you watch The Business of Design 🙂

32. aidan

Cool, thanks heaps John!

Yeah I hadn’t been on in a while and saw the new series you’ve done, watched every episode that night.

Very cool way to go about building a career out of what you love to do. I have been putting those points into practice already, and in my regular job too.

Got me thinking my brother and I should work together.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Cheers.

Aidan

• John Dickinson

Hey Aidan, I’m really pleased to hear you are finding value in The Business of Design. To have a career you love is a true blessing, and working with your brother as I do, is a rewarding experience. All the best, John.

33. Andres

Excelent!!! you are very talented. Add to my favorite.
    Saludos

• John Dickinson

Thankyou Andres and best wishes, John.

34. Paul T

Hi John,
    Awesome tutorial. I have learnt so many new techniques from it. I originally found out about customer shatter maps from total training for AE 6. Brian Maffitt spends over an hour going through the shatter effect and it’s great to see how the effect is producing such inspirational work. All the best, Paul.

• John Dickinson

Hi Paul T, I remember watching Total AE 6 as well. Sadly there really isn’t that kind of in-depth training available these days. Brian told me the other day how he was blown away that people are still getting so much value out of effects such as Shatter that he created over a decade ago. All the best, John.

35. Mark

Hey, great tutorial. So did you do the actual teaser trailer for the Dark Knight?

• John Dickinson

Thanks Mark. No, this was a promo for pay-per-view here in Australia. Best, John.

36. Mark

Oh cool man, that’s awesome. I love this Dark Knight teaser, and I wanted to know of a good and easy way to do it, so this tutorial is great help! Thanks.

I’ve used the shatter effect before but like you prior, didn’t know it could do the things it could do! Haha. Thanks man, great help! I know what I’ll be screwing around with tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg – Dark Knight teaser.

• John Dickinson

Cool Mark, glad you’ve found it useful.

37. Poljoprivreda

perfect. many thanks.

38. John Dickinson

You’re welcome Matt. Best wishes, John.

39. Remington M

Hey John! I watched this the other day, and you mentioned that to create the custom bat particles, theres a making it look great episode and I forgot which one it was and don’t want to destroy my internets bandwidth loading the whole video again to find out what it was.

• John Dickinson

Hi Remington, it’s the Butterfly Man tutorial. Best wishes, John.

• Remington M

Awesome, thanks! I just bought it and its downloading as we speak. Thanks for the speedy response!

40. Jonas

Hello, Jhon:
    I can’t see the video. The screen gets green, but I can hear your voice. What can I do? If is not a problem, could you send it to me by e-mail, or upload it to a server?
    Please, answer.

P/D: I’m sorry if my english is not good.